Sunday, December 14, 2008

My first silly run!

There is no shortage of silly fun runs in the Boston area, but for whatever reason, I've never raced in any. For example, just yesterday was a race in downtown Boston called the Speedo Santa. It's a mere 1.25 mile race in the Copley Square area. A 1.25 mile race? What's the point? Did you catch the name? The Speedo Santa Run requires that runners wear speedos. And nothing else. Yup, you are understanding this correctly. A *LOT* of people pay MONEY (which all goes to charity) to run nearly naked in December in downtown Boston.

I had friends who ran and I would have LOVED to join them, but had other obligations that couldn't be changed. Yet ANOTHER fun run missed!

But luckily, today I had no plans other than the Somerville Jingle Bell Run, a 5k in Davis Square. My first fun run! And fun it was. Hundreds of folks dressed up in elf costumes, reindeer costumes, santa get-ups, etc., to run a 5k around Davis, followed by free beer at a number of local pubs after the race.

While it really was a good time, as far as races go, I now recall the reason why I was having a hard time remembering my last 5k time: I hate short distance running. I'm not even warmed up until I'm a solid 4 miles into a run or race! To be totally done well before I'm in my zone? That's just stupid. The short distance stuff hurts - you find that line as fast as you can - that line that's just a HAIR under "OMG, I'm going to throw up right NOW if I don't slow down" and you hold it for ~20 minutes. There is simply nothing fun or enjoyable about running just under that line. Because sometimes you drift OVER the line, so you really do get that "OMG, I'm going to throw up right NOW if I don't slow down" feeling for a few seconds until you micromanage your pace back down to just under the line.

But from a racing perspective, it was a good experience. Since it was a 5k, I was miserable, and a goal for me this year is to work on the mental aspect of racing. I've got an evil little minion living in my head that often tries to talk me into slowing down. To take it easy, to relax, to have fun! This minion is screwing with my head and needs to be dealt with. So I've been working with my coach on strategies to bat the minion down when she rears her lazy ass head during a race. And she was having a FIELD day this morning! But I used the tricks suggested and was able to successfully shut the bitch up. Woo Hoo! It wasn't a spectacular performance by any means, but it was respectable and I won the mental battle today. Definitely a "W" in the Win/Loss column for me.

And even better, I think it helped to kick me out of Funky Town permanently. I'm getting more and more jazzed about killer training sessions again, which is happy news. I was starting to worry that I'd shot my racing wad, and was simply DONE, as I've been a lazy ass for the last 2 weeks.

It feels good to have found my mojo again.




3 comments:

Speed Racer said...

Why don't you just run a 4-mile warm-up before a 5K? Duh! And where are the pictures??? I want pictures!!!

I think to shut that little voice up, you need an Anne. Oh wait... Well you need ANOTHER Anne, one that's in your league and will push you. One that will rub your nose in it if you let off the gas pedal and start having fun. And maybe every once in awhile, she'll dress up in a pink elf costume just for you ;)

GetBackJoJo said...

I know that little voice! that minion! In a 5K I try to remind myself that if I don't boot or pee my pants I haven't worked it nearly hard enough. If I start to feel the need to hurl come on I try to think--super! there it is--proof I am working this race as I should.
Congrats on your W. :)

Michelle said...

LOL Mary! Claire was very pleased to hear that I peed. :)