Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Winter Running


On most days (especially in the months between May and December), I'd say that I truly love winter running. Feeling the crisp, cold air on your face. Hearing the distinctive crunch of snow under your shoes. Smelling the freshness in the air. It's truly beautiful. Like in the picture above - what's not to love about this? Sure, it's cold, but with the technical fabrics that exist these days, you really can dress very well, very easily.

Then there are days like today, where Boston was covered with an icy, sleety mess. At 5:30am this icy, sleety mess started by masquerading as snow, so I left the house, properly bundled in my favorite winter running gear, excited to start the day with a refreshing snowy run. "WHOA!!!!!" I yelled, as I went slipping and sliding down our front walkway. Eh, no big deal. Our walkway was icy from days past, and I just went out a little too quickly on it. I'll be fine once I'm on the road.

Thankfully, it was a short run on the schedule today. Even so, any sane person would have turned around after quickly discovering that this white stuff that looked like snow, was not snow. It was in fact some sort of crazy street lubricant that would give K-Y Jelly a run for its money. At the very least, I should have turned around and gotten my YakTrax so I'd have a chance out there. Nah, it's only a 30 minute run. I'll be fine.

I was fine, but it was a challenge! With every footfall, I'd slip backwards a foot length, so I was doing some bastardized version of the Running Man dance as I ran along the streets of Winchester. Not only do people think we runners are nuts for running in the cold and snow in the first place, but now I'm doing us an additional disservice by truly LOOKING like a fool while doing so. Sorry guys.

I hate running on a treadmill, but I believe today that would have been the better choice. Since I don't HAVE a treadmill, it was a moot point, but perhaps I should finally bite the bullet and get one.

And just imagine the brick workouts I could do, all right there down in the House of Pain? It might be worth it, it JUST might be worth it.....

5 comments:

Rob Gonzalez said...

Dude, I hear the bad footing, but ultimately running is so worth it! I've run a couple times this month by the beach in Southie/Dorchester, and it's not plowed at all, but the workout ends up being more intense for it. I have to take smaller, arrhythmic steps, and feel much more sore afterwards.

Michelle said...

I hear ya Rob! I really only TRULY questioned my sanity when I found myself slipping around when cars were going *right* next to me. One misstep, and I would have been under someone's front bumper. That would suck. :)

I bet the snowy beach runs are AWESOME!!!!! Sweet!

mjcaron said...

Hi Michelle, Are you training for any tri's this year?

Michelle said...

Melissa,

I think I have my 1/2 half of the season at least lined up. I'm going to take the leap to the 1/2 distance this season, and start with the Patriot 1/2 on June 20. I'm planning on a few races to lead up to it: New Bedford 1/2 Mary (3/15), Wrentham Du (4/19), and one of my favorite races (because it was my first!), Mooseman Oly (6/7). After the Patriot I've got a couple of Oly's I'm considering for July, then I'm not sure. If I like the 1/2 distance, I might add another late season 1/2 to the schedule. If not, or if I choose to wait until next year to totally dive into the 1/2, I'll pick up another few Olys and then start focusing on some fall running races.

Thanks for commenting! I have to go check out your updates - I've been lax in my blog reading lately! :)

Speed Racer said...

You hate winter running because you haven't been running with ME! Duh!

Was this the run that messed up your knee? Hope that the ski trip with the hobbits doesn't do any further damage.

By the way, I LOVE the phrase "street lubricant!"