Thursday, October 21, 2010

And Now the Suffering REALLY Begins!

If there was any doubt that I ran my heart out on Sunday, the pain I've been in since proves that I left it ALL on the streets of Lowell. Yeouch. I haven't been this sore in .... a long time. It's primarily been my calves, which have been nearly non-functional. My coworkers joked that I look like the Tin Man before they found his oil can, as I tried to walk without engaging my calf muscles (very difficult to do, but entirely possible, if you have no issues with looking like a TOTAL idiot in public). In addition, I've just been So. Very. Tired. So much so that I threw in the towel yesterday and left work early to get home and go to bed. I then slept until 11:30am and stayed in bed until I couldn't stand the horrible mid-day TV shows any longer.
Sidebar: How many Judge Judy knockoff shows ARE there on television these days????? And where do they FIND those people? It was .... horrifying.

After my lazifest I actually started to feel stir crazy, and after running (ok, well, more awkwardly jerking in a generally forward direction is a better description) a few errands around town, I decided to try the new stretch DVD I received the other day.

Queue heavenly music.....

Bliss, pure bliss. For just under an hour Karen Voight led me through a series of stretches that took me from the Tin Man to near Gumby status. I can walk again!!!!!!!! Bless you, Ms. Voight, bless you.

Now, the off-season truly begins. I'm already starting to go a bit whacky doing nothing, but I know it's for the best so on my butt I will remain parked. I'm looking forward to pulling out some yoga workouts I haven't done in ages (starting with some gentle stretching type selections, then moving into some of the more hard-core power yoga stuff that I love), but I'm already dreaming of swimbikerun.

In the meantime, I'll continue to bask in the glow of my post-race happiness, indulge in a drink or two (I'm enjoying a nice glass of wine as I type this - CRAZY!!!!!) and start to plan my goals for next year.

As I prepare my goals for next year, I would love to hear from you all - what are your goals for '11? Become more active on a regular basis and lose those last pesky few pounds? Sign up for your first race? Go for a PR? Try a new sport, like triathlon? Let me know - I'd really love to hear what you are thinking about for your '11 plans. I'll keep you posted as I figure it out on my end, 'k?

3 comments:

Running and living said...

Michelle, I just saw your comment on Mary's blog. I have not started going to the Woburn Y for masters, will start Sunday next week, and then build it up to maybe 2 days/week. Do you like the program? I am a beginner swimmer, so I am a bit intimidated! Also, so it happens, I ran Baystate too, except I did the marathon! Fun!

mjcaron said...

Hi Michelle :). Congrats on busting butt at Lowell and thanks the comment.

For this year I'm going back to the drawing board for the HI. I want to do much better. I'm probably goin to stay local and will be looking to see what's available tonight.

Barb said...

My goals for '11:

Swim faster
Bike faster
Run faster
weigh 10-15 pounds less
get stronger

Seriously, after recovering for a week after last week's half. I can't wait to head out on my run as soon as it is light outside.
I feel like I need to push my workouts this year to the point of suffering more often.

I typically am 'scared' of a hr that is too high. I am more of an endurance person--long and slow! Working this year to overcome that!! I have seen some progress in the last 8 weeks using the crossfit endurance workouts.

My next big goal is to run a BQ at Boston in April. I am now old enough that sub-4 will do it.