Monday, November 24, 2008

Gladys, the Glady-ator!

Readers of my The Road to Boston '08 tale may recall that the driving reason for me running Boston last year was to celebrate my turning "the big four-oh." My birthday is about a week after the marathon, and I thought it would be a cool way to ring in a new decade. I thought I was pretty cool, thumbing my nose at aging and all that.

Compared to Gladys, however, I'm totally and completely lame. Check out this woman! Gladys is 90, and she's shooting to break the world record for the marathon in the 90-94 AG. Sweet Jesus! Who knew there even WAS a 90-94 AG!!!!!! This is her 5th marathon - she started training after she saw the fireworks for the 2003 marathon and thought it would be a cool thing to do. How many 85 year olds just decide that training for a marathon is a cool thing to do????

So here's to Gladys - keep on running (or, race walking, as the case may be!), old girl!

2 comments:

GetBackJoJo said...

oh... don't you hope we are like Gladys?
We are very young. we are. really. very young.
Just keep repeating it to yourself.
I am constantly racing as a way to flip age the bird. ;)

Michelle said...

That's right - we are YOUNG dammit! Really. It's true.