Friday, December 2, 2011

Day 2: Aerobic Base Builder

Competition 16.0 - Aero Base Builder IDay 2 is on the books and it was another fun day in the House of Pain (HoP), the name I use for my scary basement when I'm down there on the trainer. Although today there wasn't much pain involved, as the Spinervals workout of the day for the Challenge was an easy one after yesterday's tough threshold test. Today was Spinervals 16.0: Aero Base Builder I - a nice easy Zone 2 (purely aerobic) session. I'm enjoying getting back in the early morning groove for these cycling workouts, as I've been doing my strength workouts in the evenings lately. I thought the early morning alarm (it goes off at 4:30am sharp!) would be brutal, but I've had no problems getting up and it just feels darn good to be up and getting ready for a good solid workout when you know the majority of the rest of the world is still snoozing.

Ready to GO!




DONE! Note that my headwrap thing is much darker in
this photo. It's completely soaked - you could ring
it out! Maybe that was a little TMI....





























I'm a *little* worried about tomorrow - my legs feel fine and the workout is a toughie, but I love muscle endurance workouts so I know it will be an enjoyable 2.5 hours (yeah, you read that right....). But after being off the bike like this for a bit, there are certain body parts that aren't up to their usual endurance levels for this type of activity. So if you see me walking funny Saturday afternoon, just pretend you don't notice and don't laugh until I'm out of earshot please!

A lot of you don't know what Spinervals are or how bike trainer workouts work. Here's my set-up, which should make things pretty clear:


It's really quite simple - your actual bike is attached to a trainer, which allows the back wheel to spin as you pedal. As you change gears, pedaling is easier, or harder, depending on your gearing. My TV/DVD player is just in front of me, and that's where Coach Troy barks out his orders. You simply dutifully do as you are told! It's a GREAT workout, and a lot of fun (if you like getting yelled at, working really, really hard, and sweating a lot, that is). So, if you were curious as to what it really is that I'm doing every morning by 5:00am, here it is, in all it's glamorous glory....

I'm SO glad I found the Challenge - it's just what I needed this month. That said, word on the street is that the New Year's Eve workout is Have Mercy (if you aren't familiar with this workout, I'll simply say that it's aptly named), and the New Year's Day workout is Hardcore 100. As in 100 miles. As in a FIVE HOUR trainer workout. Have Mercy is 2 hours of wicked, twisted brutality that makes you cry for your mother (after saying bad, bad things to Coach Troy.....). Follow that up with Hardcore??? This is going to be an interesting kick off to the new year......... All I've got to say is that my legs had better be steel bands and SMOKIN' after all this work! :)

1 comment:

Coach Troy said...

Awesome blog! This is the way to do it... set-up your training area (HOP), commit to the program, execute it as intended, get it done first thing and make no excuses! Well done Michelle... Keep up the good work!