Thursday, December 13, 2012

Challenge Day 12

Day 12: 12/12/2012

And we keep plugging along!!!! Today we had a new one for me on the bike, and one I didn't already own, so I thought I'd give the download workout option a try. While I need to find a solution for increasing the volume more than I can using my laptop alone, it worked out GREAT. I have a ~4' step ladder set up next to my bike to hold various crap (chain lube, gels, extra water bottles if I need more than 2, Kleenex, etc.), and the laptop fit perfectly on the top step. If this were a 100% on the bike effort, I could use headphones, but with the on/off nature of this one, that wouldn't work. I just turned it up as loud as it would go and it was fine (I just like Troy yelling at me loudly!).


It was fun to see some familiar faces in this one - Brenda and Marilyn! Brenda is an old friend from another fitness board who, along with Nancy, convinced me I could get into triathlon. She also gave me the BEST advice EVER, at the start of my first race. "When you panic in the water, and you WILL, flip over on your back and backstroke while you get your nerves under control." I'm not sure I ever thanked her for that advice - she saved my swim. :)

Anyway - UltraConditioning 1.0, which has 4 working sets that each consist of a strength building bike set (big gears) immediately followed by some sort of squat set (super slow, squats for time, plyo, mixed of all 3). It was just under and hour and FUN! For some reason the big gear work comes easily to me - it's hard, yes, but it doesn't slay me like the wicked intense interval workouts do. Perhaps it's my strength training work over the years? Dunno. But the workout was fun and I got in a fantastic solid hour of work.

I had done well over 200 squats as part of the workout, but .... again, since I'm an OCD whack-job I felt the need to do my Squat/Plank A Thon squats anyway. So after about 5 minutes I did my 70 for the challenge and my 2:10 plank hold. Until we hit 3:00 I'm now doing a flat out push-up position hold for the full time (I had started mixing in some side planks to make it more interesting). I'll mix in side planks again (and perhaps some other crazy modifications!), but after we hit that 3:00 mark early next week - I want to hit that first!

No comments: